Hiflon 51A is a white irregular shaped PTFE powder and having an average particle size of 400 microns. It is a homopolymer of pure TFE polymerized under strictly controlled conditions. Hiflon 51A has moderately flowability and does not form lumps and allows easy filling of mould. Hiflon 51A offers the characteristics of type –I PTFE in accordance with the ASTM D- 4894 specifications.
Hiflon 51 A can be used for
- Compression moulding of performs intended for machined components.
- Compression moulding of hollow cylinders/billets to be used for skived tape/sheet for genera purpose application.
- Moulding of large size sheets.
- Isostatic moulding of intricate shaped components.
- Ram extrusion of continuous rods and profiles( rods of > 16 mm dia)
The Hiflon 51 A grade properties are given table.
Before processing the powder is to be conditioned above 19 deg C and below 23 deg C. First mould is filled with powder evenly. Filled mould is placed between hydraulic press platens and compressed slowly to degasse the entrapped air in between PTFE powder particles. Finally powder is compacted with final recommended pressure. It is called perform. Then the perform is sintered in sintering oven with different cycles (both controlled heating and cooling is called cycle) based on the component size.
The sintering cycles (guideline purpose) is given below: